Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:03:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hans Zaunere <hans@nyphp.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Resize File-Backed vnode Device

Fairly straight forward question I suppose.  I'm creating several file-backed
vnode devices on a single physical disklabel to support some jails.  If I
start the file at 1gb is it possible to increase the file without losing the
data within it?  Would growfs be safe to use?  Could I be so bold as to just
tack on 100mb of null chars at the end of the file (I would doubt it,
although it'd be nice).

My goal, is to be able to deliver jails, based on a filesystem that can
resize easily.  The physical disk is 80gb so I have the room; it's just a
matter of delegating it a easily manageable manner.   So far, using vnodes
seem to be my best bet, although I'd like to hear other ideas that people
have come up with.

Thanks,

=====
Hans Zaunere