Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:03:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> 1. TCL needs, *at some point* (and note that the current move was
>    rather premature, but let's not debate that here) to be part of
>    the base system so that the installation tools can use it.
>    We do intend on being heavy users of TCL, if not right this minute
>    then in the future.

When?  Why don't we bring it into the system *AFTER* it's needed, like
we've done with everything else?  (Like, show me the working system, and
then I'll believe that it works.  *SHOW ME THE SYSTEM*)

> 2. If it were in ports, we'd have a build problem since you wouldn't
>    be able to build /usr/src/usr.sbin/setup (not existant yet, but
>    it will be) without first building and installing a port.  This
>    would break the world target.

I don't see setup in the tree?

> Now the obvious "answer" is to somehow integrate ports with things
> that depend on it in /usr/src (I'm assuming that we'd also bite the
> bullet with perl and that things like adduser would also have this
> problem), but the question is how?  Where do the distfiles live?  How
> does the world target jump from src to ports in building a "complete"
> system with all the trimmings?  How does this effect how we distribute
> ports and on which CD(s) the various files live?  Most people only
> have one drive, and if you're going to support building srcs off CD
> (a definite goal) then what does that entail in the brave new world
> of merged ports and src?

Let's have the problem actually be something that's *real*, because up
till this point it's all been 'hypothetically speaking, if TCL were to
be used like we plan on it being.'  TCL has been the 'Cairo release of
WinNT' of FreeBSD for a long time.  Lots of noise and smoke, but little
substance.

nate