Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:49:56 -0600
From:      nathan <beemern@telecom.ksu.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Adam Kress <dutch@neo.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not enough memory to boot (was: Old timer PC)

I did a similar install with the target machine being a 386 laptop with 4 megs of
ram and 105 Mb hd.
Its been working for a few months now with 4.1 on it (:

As I recall, the mem limits were 4megs of ram to run, and 5+ to install.
that's why i ended up isntalling on a diff machine with the laptop harddrive in
it, then moving back.

To get to my advice on this:

**Check your kernel config.** I ran into a similar problem (w/o the swap error
tho?)
and fixed it by making sure my kernel was setup for the specific 386 devices.
I don't know if you're using GENERIC or not, but i'd make a custom kernel for
your 386.
and try it out.. it some time, a few reconfigs, and about 3 pots o coffee b4 i
got it going.

goodluck
nathan