Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 18:39:41 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

[ Totally off-topic, so CC: limited appropriately ]

Greg Lehey wrote in message ID
<199606071015.MAA00708@allegro.lemis.de>:
> One possible argument is: what do you do if the definitions in the
> Makefile change?  This can require files to be recompiled.  Sure, if
> the IDENT definition in the Makefile changes, you can expect to have
> to recompile a whole lot of stuff, but there are ways to ensure that
> that isn't necessary.  The most obvious, if not the most elegant, is
> to make all objects depend on the Makefile, and not to change the
> Makefile if nothing in the Makefile changes.  A somewhat more
> sophisticated method would be to put the definitions in a file which
> is included by the Makefile, and depend only on that.  Does anybody
> have any dependencies that couldn't be solved by this kind of method?
>
> So now you'll come and say, "OK, do it".  I'm not just bitching: I am
> prepared to revise the whole build procedure.  I think it would not
> take much longer than I've spent trying to build the current version.
> What do you people think?

I think it's already being worked on in -current, by moving the flags
out of the Makefile into the opt_*.h files which allow make depend to
work a lot better, and remove the need for some inteligence based on
what goes on in the Makefile. If I understand it right, the evential
aim is to only leave compiler-specific flags in the Makefile
(e.g. -Wall, -O, etc).

Gary