Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 18:58:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mark Hughes <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Settings for burning CD in Nero / weird error on install - "Your CD  looks more like an audio CD than a FreeBSD release CD"

Mark Hughes wrote:

> > > I've just downloaded and burned the 4.3-release ISO, and it boots up fine into
> > > /stand/sysinstall....after setting all the options and starting the install, it says
> (just
> > > after "Starting emergency shell on vty1"),
> > >
> > > "This CD looks more like an Audio CD than a FreeBSD release CD"
> > >
> > > I've tried burning the CD again, with the same result. Anyone else had this?
> > >
> > > I think the problem could lie with the way I'm burning the CD, using the Nero software
> on
> > > Win98SE....what options do most people use when importing the ISO to nero to burn the
> CD?
> > > I've been using the standard default settings....
> >
> > You have to choose "Burn image" from the file menu. The default if *.nrg but
> > if you select the drop down there is the all (*.*). You select your iso and
> > it burns a FreeBSD iso just fine. For more information, see
> > http://www.nero.com/en/cfaqs.htm
>
> Hmmm. Yeah, I read that page and did exactly what it says (and what you have said
> here)....no luck though, it comes up with this weird error. Looking at the contents of the
> CD in windows it all looks right, and the boot loader and everything works fine, it's just
> when it starts to install that it goes weird.

I think something on your system is broken. I just burned a FreeBSD 4.3
install iso using Nero 5.0 @ 16x and it burned just fine. I didn't have
one on hand and downloaded it today. You might try using a lower burn
rate. Make sure you aren't doing something like burning at 16x on 4x
media. I have some 6x media that I am getting rid of. So far it has been
successfull burning at 8x. I have media rated at 16x if one fails and
reburn at that speed.

BTW, the defaults that Nero used worked.

The only other thing is your iso can't be on the same IDE controller as
your CDROM. If it is, you have to drop the rate because of contention.

Kent

> Thanks,
> Mark

Kent Stewart