Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:13:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install behind firewall; FTP over HTTP proxies.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 q9405096@brampton.cqu.edu.au wrote:

> Well, my plan is to start playing with ports soonishly.  I come from a
> background of Linux, mostly Debian.  I'm looking at possible options for
> a gateway - it currently runs Debian, but it's limiting throughput to
> ~3.3k/s.  I think it's the hardware though, so the poor old 386 might
> have to get thrown into a corner.  Any ideas on that?

I digress, but I actually got better throughput with FreeBSD on a '386
w/8MB RAM than with the same modem, to the same ISP, on Windows98 running
on a PII-400 w/64MB RAM.  The FreeBSD '386 machine was ~16% faster on
large FTP transfers from the Internet in informal testing.

That cute lil' ol' '386 is still doing excellent service for a network of
Macs, doing NAT, DNS, and packet filtering.  If it impairs network
connectivity (10Mbps cable modem) to the Macs, I haven't been able to
notice it.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com