Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:30:55 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        Sarton O'Brien <sobrien@quicksilver.co.nz>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is my bandwidth limited somehow?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 06:41:57PM +1200, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> Thanks, just a couple of quick questions, I'm not entirely sure I know
> what this is is for. The server is firewalled except for 3 ports, 2 used
> for game connections and 1 for http. Would removing this really pose
> much of a threat.

ICMP can be a dangerous protocol when it comes to DoS attacks.  You
_could_ remove it, but then I would make sure that your firewall is
limiting ICMP fragments/bad packets before they reach your game server.

> If this is suppose to limit bad replies, would it effect the way the
> server operates? I don't care about the console spam .... I only log in
> as a user remotely anyway. I have noticed that trying to connect
> externally can _sometimes_ take for ever ... if it connects at all, but
> connecting on the internal network is no problem.
>
> Basically I guess what I'm asking is, can this limiter be a nusiance in
> some circumstances and would removing it prove anything.

It _can_ be a nuisance yes.  It's basically there for your protection,
but as with anything in BSD, you can change it.  :)  You could give it a
shot.  Who knows, perhaps you'll see better performance without it.  :)

Cheers,
Marc