Date:      13 Oct 2001 21:09:21 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:

> This is probably the most dangerous order you could do those things in
> that can work.
>
> The recommended - and safest - order is:
>
> make buildworld
> make kernel KERNCONF=YOURCONF
> # reboot to run the kernel you just built, preferably in single user mode
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot again
>
> You have to do the buildworld before you can build a kernel, so
> buildworld has to happen first.
>
> "make kernel" is identical to "make buildkernel" followed by
> "make installkernel". FWIW, "make world" is also identical to
> "make buildworld" followed by "make installworld",
>
> After that, you reboot to insure that the new kernel will boot. If it
> fails for some reason, backing out the kernel is pretty easy, and you
> have your old, running system to rebuild things on.

That makes sense.  If the old world isn't compatible with the new
kernel, it will probably still boot and run enough to give you
confidence to install the new world, mergemaster, and final reboot.
(Your kind of detailed explanation wouldn't be bad in the handbook.)

I wonder if, with today's huge disks, it wouldn't be good to have
an option in the build software that keeps the old kernel, the old
world, and the old config files (during a make kernel world merge)
somewhere where it could be easily restored (or maybe just choosen) from
the boot prompt.  (Also: Aren't there EVER problems booting a good new
kernel with an old world - even when just booting to single user?  Do
you sometimes HAVE to install new kernel and new world at same time?)