Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 20:28:16 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        phk@critter.dk.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp), jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question: 2.1.7?

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:02:09 -0600 (CST)  Karl Denninger wrote:

> The FIRST LEVEL response is to REMOVE the 2.1.6 executables from the FTP
> servers and make a PUBLIC announcement that the vulnerability has been
> found.

An timely announcement will be nice.  I don't agree that the time for
this to occur has yet passed.  I want *accurate* information when I
get it, and not some quick-and-nearly-accurate information
immediately.

The removal of the executables is uncalled for; many systems run
without users.  Many run without Internet connections.  While anyone
running in production *should* have a copy of some installation media
handy, what if someone doesn't?  (Help -- I can't reinstall; the OS
isn't available anymore?!)

Removing all the executables *also* prevents anyone ftping them to
checksum in the case of an unrelated local security incident.

The known problems in 2.1.6 make it about as insecure as most of the
commercial systems I see; this is unfortunate but probably isn't be
the end of the world.

Finally, it is unreasonable to *hold* the free software community to
higher standards than the commercial community manage.  (Sure, we can
hope. :) The fastest commercial advisory I've seen was 3-4 days after
an exploit was posted and that was for a single utility buffer
overrun.  The normal delay is much greater.

Regards,

Giles