Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:42:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-questions, ponds!nanoteq.com!pvl
Subject:   Re: ed0 : device timeout

> Hi
>
> I wrote to questions about this earlier, but that didn't solve my
> problem.
>
> I get the following message :
> ed0 : device timeout
>
> It doesn't seem to be fatal all the time though.
>
> Looking at if_ed.c I see it is because the device doesn't
> generate an interrupt after a transmit was started.
> I commented the line out that checks for the interrupt,
> and had the function return without doing anything. Didn't
> do any good as expected.
>
> It's a D-Link De-220 card which I have exchanged about three
> times, as well as putting a new motherboard in. The
> only thing I haven't changed is the cpu (Pentium 133).
> I've been running FreeBSD on it since 2.1.5 and I have
> 2.2-Stable on it at the moment (CVSupped about a week ago --
> I tried to CVSup today, but today the ed0 error is fatal :)  )
>
> What else should I try?
> pierre
> --
> Pierre_Andre van Leeuwen
> Electronic Engineer

 I don't know if you've gotten a reply to this yet; but everytime
that happens with my NE2000 clone cards (two of which are D-link),
it's for one of two reasons, assuming you're using thin-net:

	1) The ethernet cable isn't properly grounded.
	   If you don't have the sheild of on segment of your cable
	   properly grounded you can see this.  I have a 50-ohm terminator
	   that has a grounding wire attached, which I simply screw into
	   the middle screw on a wall-plate.  That screw is supposed to
	   be connected to ground.

	2) Each segment of the ethernet isn't properly terminated.
	   Each "end piece" of the wire must have a 50-ohm terminator.
	   Several ethernet cards provide this termination internally,
	   via a board switch.  If you just have the ethernet running
	   straight into the card, make sure that the card is providing
	   termination.  Otherwise, you need to have a T connector, with
	   a terminator on one end.

 Every single problem I've had with my own ethernet (such as you describe,
and others) have been for one of those two reasons.

	- Dave Rivers -