Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:06:02 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: STRANGE delay using NAT

RJ45 wrote:
> when I ssh x.y.z.v it takes around 3 minutes before prompting me for the
> password. If I Instead ssh x.y.z.w (the gateway) and then ssh 10.0.0.1
> it takes around 5 seconds.
> How come the response time with NAT is soooo damn slow ??
> IS there a way to fix the problem ??
> The problem is only in te first ssh authentication step, when SSH
> communication is established the connection looks fast.

Usually, this kind of thing indicates a DNS problem.  Most secure stuff
(like ssh) will do a reverse DNS lookup to verify the IP is not spoofed
and put the data in the logs.  Three minutes is about the time it takes
to time out if nobody is providing reverse lookup information.
I don't know the ssh suite of protocols that well, but here's my guess:
ssh wants a reverse lookup before you log in (to help prevent spoofing
and man-in-the-middle attacks) When you go from a machine to proxy, the
reverse lookup for the proxy happens quick, then you ssh from proxy to
10.0.0.1 and the _proxy_ does the reverse lookup and succeeds.
However, when you ssh directly through the proxy to 10.0.0.1, your machine
is trying to do a reverse lookup for 10.0.0.1 - but that's not a real
Internet address, and no DNS servers on the Internet are going to resolve
it.  So, after waiting 3 minutes, it gives up and lets you connect anyway.

This is just a guess.  It assumes that the sshd process will be sending
the IP addy back as part of the ssh protocol - I don't know if that's the
case or not.  But the whole 3 minute thing sounds a lot like DNS timeouts.

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"