Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 22:07:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        gopu@global.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Help in data recovery

Hi Terry Lambert;  On 04-Nov-97 you wrote:
> > Surely Julian didn't want you to run fdisk on a tape drive. :-)  So
> > just type `fdisk', and it will pick up the first disk for you.
>
>  If the manufacturer didn't want me to put a filesystem on a device,
>  then they'd make it so the device wasn't block addressable.  Otherwise
>  it gets an FS...
>
>  mount -t ansitape /dev/rst0 /mnt
>
>  8-) 8-)

He is laughing and I am crying :-))

This  was the standard mode of operation as recently as the Tahoe project.
But really was the only way to install Unix on a PDP11.  You mount the tape
and watch in amazement as the hours go by.  The amazement came from the
fact that it actually booted.

---
If Microsoft Built Cars:

Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new
car.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313