Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:49:51 +0100
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bge driver for BCM5719 not working (9.1-RC3)

Hi,

I'm having a hard time getting FreeBSD 9.1 RC3 running on a HP
Proliant 385p G8.

Installation runs so far, however I can't get any network interfaces
up and running.

The output of dmesg "... link states coalesced" messages and
correspondigly in /var/log/messages I have numerous messages like
"bge0: link state changed to UP", followed by "bge0: link state
changed to DOWN".

I've already ruled out the following:

o) Wiring - OK (even changed cable)
o) different switchport
o) Check for latest firmware on machine including iLO - already got that

The problem is that I can't connect to the network in any way, so I'm
stuck with my installation off the ISO-image with no way of updating
my system :-(

Interestingly enough the MAC-address of the machine in question shows
up on the switch, so the server does have a link to the switch -
without being able to communicate though.

Digging around I came across the following PR:

So here are my questions:

o) Is there any chance this will be fixed in the 9.1-release?
(the PR mentions that the patch has been committed to -CURRENT)

o) How do I go about updating my system without network connectivity?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
-ewald