Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:33:24 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: 3.0-R on a amd386dx/40

On Wednesday, 21st October 1998, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

>Stephen McKay scribbled this message on Oct 21:
>> Sounds like the FP emulator isn't working.  What do the npx lines say
>> on boot?
>
>well, it doesn't matter...  as I told another person, the problem is
>that the binaries FAIL on a 2.2.1-R system... and this is a system that
>runs systat perfectly fine...  so the problem isn't the floating point..
>
>and the 3.0-R newfs fails on his new 2.2.6-R install that we just did
>tonight...   so I KNOW it's not a math emulation problem...

Oh, I missed the "on 2.2.1" bit.  Answer is simple: don't do that.

The only scenario I can think of is that you've built 3.0 from source under
2.2.x and then run the 3.0 progs from the obj directories.  Again, don't
do that.

Run 3.0 binaries on a 3.0 system and you'll have a better time of it.

Stephen.