Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:59:05 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help PLEASE! Frustration == MAX, geting my machine back working

I had, untill last weekend a very sweet FreeBSD 4 STABLE machine.
I tried last weekend to upgared to the latest via CVSUP'ing, and
portupgrade.

To make a long and miserable story short, I woulnd up with so
many things broken that I couldn't get them going till I had more
time to work on them. So I set aside this weekend for geting thigs back
working. After working on it all last night, and really making no progeress
I decided I just wanted my machien back to where it was last Friday, and
then I could try upgrading in smaller more managable chunks.

I have a good set of Amanda backups, and the machine has several 40G disks
in ti, only one of which I am presently using.

So I decided the best way to aproach this was to partition one of the other
disks to look just like the one I was using, and restore from the Amanda
backups.

Well I can't seem to get the disk partioned corectly. I am using susinstall
and seting up the paritions to be just like the first disk:

ad1s1a 500M /
ad1s1b 1500M swap
ad1s1e 200M /var
ad1s1f remainder /usr

Obvoiusly I had to tell sysinstall to prepend /mnt1 to all of these names
to avouid conflicting with the existing mount points. Once I get all of
this set up in the disk slice editor I press W and newfs et all is run.

However, when I reboot the machine it complains that I must run fsck
manually and can't read block 16 on /dev/ad1s1a every time. Thinking I
mught have a bad disk (less than 3 months old, but possible0, I tried
the same thing with /dev/ad2so, sam problem.

I simply want to be able to get back to where I was last Friday!

Can anyone provide some help here?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin