Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:06:50 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        juha@saarinen.org, joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 02:34:03AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> From: "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
> Subject: RE: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD
> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:00:59 +1200
>
>> "19.2.2.2. Who needs FreeBSD-STABLE?
>> If you are a commercial user or someone who puts maximum stability of
>> their FreeBSD system before all other concerns, you should consider
>> tracking FreeBSD-STABLE. This is especially true if you have installed
>
> It's probably time to rewrite that paragraph substantially.  It was
> something of a tactical error to encourage certain interest groups to
> run "work in progress" code, even if that work is very carefully
> bounded and kept "in progress" for the shortest periods possible.

I've been using FreeBSD, and reading the mailing lists since around
2.0.5, and this discussion comes up about three times a year.  Each
time the Powers That Be agressively reject the solution most obvious
to someone not a PTB, which is to rename these branches.  There have
got to be several choices that more accurately reflect what the
branches are used for, and that wouldn't confuse the newly
converted.

Actually, -CURRENT is "development" and -STABLE is "QA/BETA" and
-RELEASE is what most folks would think of as "stable".  So, why
don't we name them like that?  I wouldn't have a problem with
-DEVEL, -BETA, -RELEASE, and perhaps putting -STABLE on the new
RELENG_X_Y branch.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com