Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2013 08:42:01 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is pkgng supposed to upgrade a dependency of a locked package?

I am using pkgng 1.1.4_1 on RELENG_9 (r252725), operating on a local =
repo I maintain using poudriere 3.0.4.

Recently, I wanted to upgrade all packages on a client except two whose =
update I want to defer for now as they potentially impact =
locally-developed applications.  I figured I would use the pkgng "lock" =
functionality on those two packages (apache-solr and py27-Jinja2) to =
prevent them from being updated.  I ran "pkg upgrade" on the client and, =
as expected, the locked packages weren't upgraded.  However, I was =
surprised to see that packages upon which the locked packages depended =
were upgraded.  Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the man page for =
pkg-lock states this should not happen:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
     The impact of locking a package is wider than simply preventing =
modifica-
     tions to the package itself.  Any operation implying modification =
of the
     locked package will be blocked.  This includes:
[[...]]
     o   Deletion, up- or downgrade of any package the locked package =
depends
         upon, either directly or as a consequence of installing or =
upgrading
         some third package.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

In my case, the following dependencies of apache-solr were updated, even =
though apache-solr is locked: java-zoneinfo: 2013.c -> 2013.d; libXi: =
1.7.1_1,1 -> 1.7.2,1; libXrender: 0.9.7_1 -> 0.9.8; and openjdk: 7.21.11 =
-> 7.25.15.  In the case of the locked py27-Jinja2, these dependencies =
were updated: gettext: 0.18.1.1_1 -> 0.18.3; and py27-MarkupSafe: 0.15 =
-> 0.18.  Dependency information in the two locked packages was updated =
to reflect these new, upgraded dependencies.

Is this a bug, or am I misreading the man page?

Cheers,

Paul.=