Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:30:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, joelh@gnu.org, dakott@alpha.delta.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1542i Performance on -stable [was Re: SCSI Controller]

> > This goes for the 1742B, as well.
>
> There is no 1742B. Only a 174x and 174xA (x =[02] for (no)floppy interface).
>
> The 174x are all sensitive to using both internal and external cabling
> at the same time. For our Alphaservers we simply made that an unsupported
> config. In addition 174x are sensitive to which disks you use, some
> simply don't work, primarily the newer/faster ones.

I'm pretty sure that the 1742 controller in my machine with the 50MHz
486DX (*NOT* DX2), and on which I clock my EISA bus at 50MHz because
the 1742B could handle it, where the 1742A could not, is a 1742B.

I remember getting it at the time becayse it out performed a Pentium
66 clock doubled from 33 MHz because of the aditional 17MHz of memory
and I/O bus speed; that, and Intel and AMD had both promised clock
doubled DX2/100 *NOT* DX4/100) chips that would use the 50MHz bus
in this ASUS motherboard.

I'm also pretty sure the "B" comes from the EISA configuration capability
that I had to read the serial number to the Adaptec people so they could
tell me if the card supported it, whereby I was able to configure a
non-standard translation mode to support larger drives than would otherwise
be possible on a 1742/1742A.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---