Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:27:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Lee <nugundam@best.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpg123 leaking memory?

I'm running on a recent 3.2-stable setup with 128MB ram and 150M swap, and
the recent mpg123 from ports through the pcm0 kernel driver, with the gqmpeg
player.

I've been watching the RES size of the playing mpg123 process as it plays
a MP3, and the active memory usage increase as it plays a mp3.  It never seems
to free this memory nor does any of the memory goes back into the inactive pool
after the mp3 is done and moves on to the next (whether mpg123 is run from
gqmpeg or commandline).

On a usual overnight run without mpg123, I should be somewhere around 80MB
used in Windowmaker and no swap used.  After a overnight run with mpg123, I'm
seeing 22M of swap used and increasing.  Is this normal behavior of the memory
architecture?

I haven't been awake when swap usage gets been maxed out, but the system
does reboot because I think no swap left so it panics.

So, is mpg123 leaking memory?  Playing CDs through ascd has no such problems.

Joseph