Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:08:43 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Shyaka Rene <reneka10@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        Shyaka Rene via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can all drivers work after freebsd full installation

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 09:13:42 +0000 (UTC), Shyaka Rene via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hello, I have a omputer with windows 7. HP I5 all its drivers
> on hp website are made for windows 7. if i install freebsd full
> installation (not virtual machine) will all drivers work (network,
> VGA, webcam, finger print, ...). thank you.

No. Drivers made for "Windows" will not work on FreeBSD.
As a fully independent operating system, FreeBSD supplies
its own drivers.

There is one notable exception: The NDISulator can use a
"Windows" driver to activate a WLAN component. See chapter
11.5.1.1 in The FreeBSD Handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html

But that's not the primary objective. Compatibility and
compliance to standards is.

Checking if your hardware supports FreeBSD is a task you
should perform _before_ installation. Check the hardware
compatibility list. You can also try a FreeBSD live system
which boots from CD, DVD or USB (preferred method). Without
installation, you can check most things easily.

The most important tools are: "dmesg", "pciconf -lv", and
"usbconfig". For graphics cards (and especially for using
X), you typically need to install the required driver,
depending on the brand of the card, be it Intel, nVidia,
or AMD/ATi. In most cases, you'll also need to load kernel
modules for such purposes.

The FreeBSD default installation already contains most of
the drivers to get the system up and running. You need to
know which hardware you have in order to install the parts
which are missing. There is no need to manually download
stuff from arbitrary web sites - you just use "pkg" to
install what you need.

If I remember correctly, the fingerprint reader is a USB
device, at least on my old Lenovo Thinkpad. But as it does
not add security, I've never tried using it...

For the webcam, install "webcamd" and then use "pwcview"
to check if you're getting the expected picture.

Here are a few links to further resources:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/hardware.html

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.0R/hardware.html

If you experience problems during setting up your FreeBSD
system, you can ask on this list. Make sure you provide
all information needed (like exact model name of hardware
you want to activate, what you've already done, which error
messages you got, and so on).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany