Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:06:10 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Be careful what you say

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 07:12:15AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> I have just received a very abusive email from someone on this list.
>
> I had chosen to explain to him in a way he did not like that he was
> giving bad advice on a recent topic, and to explain why.
>
> This person decided to call me a nazi (plus a few other random insults
> thrown in, triteness, condescending, omniscient pretensions etc..)

That sort of thing loses it's power to offend when you realize how
silly it is. It reminds me of Bierce's fable about the skunk and the
lion. The skunk took offense at something the lion had done and lay
in wait. When the lion walked by, the skunk did...well, what skunks
do. When the lion ignored this, the skunk said "I wish to point out
that I have set foot to an implacable odor." The lion replied, "You
needn't have bothered. I already knew that you were not a rose."

Bob Hall