Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 19:39:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Douglas Thomas Crosher  <dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au>, jdp@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, dima@best.net (Dima Ruban), current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   problems in -current (was Re: awk broken ???)

Douglas Thomas Crosher writes:
> > After updating to the lastest I see awk failing on make depend in
> > sys/compile/XXXX:
> >
> > sh ../../kern/vnode_if.sh ../../kern/vnode_if.src
> > awk: cmd. line:4: (FILENAME=- FNR=318) fatal error: internal error
> > abort - core dumped
> >
> > Also my freshly built gcc-2.7.2 coredumps wih sig 11...
> >
> > It works on a kernel from jan 6...
> >
> > Anybody else having problems with the latest changes....

I have one idea what it may be.  It *appears* to be a library problem
given that older libraries work.  Assuming it's a library problem, I can
only see two significant library changes which have occurred recently.

1) Peter's import of the new bind code.  This shouldn't affect gcc or
   awk, so I doubt this.

2) John Polstra's change which affected all shlibs.
jdp         96/01/16 16:03:10

  Modified:    share/mk  bsd.lib.mk
  Log:
  Always link /usr/lib/c++rt0.o into a shared library.  CPLUSPLUSLIB is no
  longer necessary, and can be removed from Makefiles.

Unfortunately, I suspect the latter, but have no way of checking it
right now.  Can those folks who are having problems apply this to
bsd.lib.mk (effectively backing out the above change) and rebuild their
libraries to see see if it solves the problem?

/usr/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk
***************
*** 187,193 ****
  .endif

  .if !defined(NOPIC)
! .if !make(clean) && !make(cleandir)
  SOBJS+= ${DESTDIR}/usr/lib/c++rt0.o
  .endif

--- 187,193 ----
  .endif

  .if !defined(NOPIC)
! .if defined(CPLUSPLUSLIB) && !make(clean) && !make(cleandir)
  SOBJS+= ${DESTDIR}/usr/lib/c++rt0.o
  .endif

(The white space in the diff is screwed up, so do this by hand)

Thanks!

Nate