Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2019 18:54:45 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        hw <hw@gc-24.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: howto allow anyone to poweroff?

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 18:37:35 +0200, hw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to allow ordinary users to poweroff a machine?  I'd
> like to automatically poweroff PXE booted clients once the user that
> was logged in logs out after using it.

There are basically two ways:

Way 1 is to add the users to the group "operator". This, however,
allows them to do other things too which you might not be interested
in allowing them.

Way 2 is to add a program like sudo or super to your installation
and allow the users to use _one_ specific program ("poweroff only").
This is probably the safer way.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany