Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2019 11:05:31 +0000
From:      Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on HP Computer that is using software RAID 5

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 22:26:19 +0100, Polytropon stated:

>On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 11:06:33 +0000, Carmel NY wrote:
>> Three SATA drives, 1,863 GB each, configured into a RAID 5 with 3,762
>> total GB
>>=20
>> This is a software RAID, Intel Rapid Storage Technology 16.5.1.1030
>>=20
>> I have included the full information at the end. The system is
>> presently running Win 10 PRO just fine. I want to convert it to a
>> FreeBSD 12 system. If I install FreeBSD 12 amd64 utilizing ZFS, will
>> it recognize the drives and set them up correctly or will I have to
>> do something manually? I want to keep the RAID setup and not use the
>> drives individually. =20
>
>Is there a reason you don't want to use ZFS's native RAID
>features? It's commonly suggested to not rely on software
>RAID and instead let ZFS manage the drives. You can construct
>the same RAID setups with ZFS as you can with the controller,
>and as you're going to scratch the existing content anyway,
>there is no need to preserve anything of the previous layout.
>
>More information here:
>
>http://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/05/26/zfs-raid-levels/
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#RAID-Z

That doesn't answer my question. I wanted to know if when I first
install FreeBSD 12, and choose ZFS as the file system, will it
recognize the three drives and set them up by default as a RAIDZ (RAID5
or do I have to do that manually after FreeBSD is installed?

Time is money, and I don't have a lot of either to waste trying to get
this system up and running. If it is going to be time intensive, then I
will just throw the whole idea onto the back burner.

Also, as a side note, can the wireless card, a
Broadcom BCM4352HMB 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi Adapter
be configured to work when FreeBSD is being installed or do I have to
wait until the system is up and running to do that? I just ask, because
MS Windows, at least Win 10 ,allow the card to be setup and running
during installation of the OS. I intend to install FreeBSD with by
creating a DVD from the "FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso"
download. I therefore need Internet access. I could use an Ethernet
cable, but for logistical reasons, I would rather not.

--=20
Carmel