Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 09:38:58 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slowly going blind ;-)

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 05:30:03PM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> I was having a really good vision has I can remember from 1 year or so.
> Now I'm a little bit paranoic and I'm always checking how I see since I
> am on a computer. I have the paranoiac not so fun feeling than my vision
> is slowly decreasing.

Don't worry, it is probably doing you good. For about 20 years I was as
blind as half a bat and had to wear glasses all the time. Sometimes I
fell asleep wearning them, and found the dreams were much better.

Then I started using computers. After a while it got harder and harder
to see the screen. Everything looked tiny and I had to pull the monitor
closer to be able to read it. One day I realised that it was easier to
read the screen without glasses, so I took them off.

Day after day, year after year, I sat in front of that screen, letting
its rays bathe my naked eyes. My vision steadily improved. Now I can
see very well without glasses and only need them occasionally to see
something way off in the distance.

At this rate, after another few months of computer use my vision will
have improved to the point that I can throw my glasses away, even for
distance vision.

These years of computer use have caused some more minor changes, such
as the onset of grey hair, wrinkles, and changed tastes in food,
particularly pizza. Those around me who don't use computers seem to be
losing their short term memory, often erroneously remembering some
recent incident that didn't actually happen. Perhaps that is because
they don't sit in front of the screen and stare straight at it but take
furtive glances as they shout from the doorway.

For me, the best part is the dreams. As my eyes have improved due to
constant computer use, the dreams have become more and more vivid.
Dreams are no longer a series of blurred images and now everything is
very life-like. Already the dreams are so good that it can be
impossible to tell them from reality.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-