Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:43:16 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: MBR not overwritable with dd?

--nextPart1145114.7ybFrGshYu

Am Montag, 11. Oktober 2004 04:37 schrieb Jerry McAllister:
> > I tried to null out the MBR with the BETA7 fixit CD with the follwoing=
=3D20
> > command:
> > dd if=3D3D/dev/zero of=3D3D/dev/ad0 count=3D3D16
> >
> > After that fdsik still showed me a valid partition tabel!
> > How? Does GEOM map the beginning of the raw device?
>
> Was it getting it from the in-memory informatino?

After a lowlevel format fdisk still showed me a partition in slice 1 with i=
d=20
165. So fdisk is misbehaving here. A hexdump of the first 512 Bytes validat=
ed=20
that fdisk is wrong.

Another question is why does sysinstall complain about wrong geometry? It=20
claims the CHS values, but why? I heard that it's the fault of "other OSes"=
=20
becaus they're writing wrong info onto the disk. But this disk has nothing=
=20
but NULLs on it and sysinstall is presenting CHS values, also fdisk reads C=
HS=20
Values "from in-core labels". Can anybody entlighten me what in-core labels=
=20
are?

Then there's another error in sysinstall but I'll post that on current (whe=
n=20
creating two slices, the partition table ends up in having two active=20
entries)

Thanks,

=2DHarry