Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:24:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        davehummel@earthling.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone porting JX ?

moved to -ports instead of -questions...

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Dave Hummel wrote:

> This seems like it may be a worthwhile port. I contacted them via their
> webpage mailer and got two prompt responses. The jist of the messages is
> that they don't have a FreeBSD box to tinker with, but would include a
> working port at their ftp site if someone would create one.
>
> I'm currently tinkering with it, but if there is a lot of interest in it
> maybe a more experienced/talented "portmeister" would be willing to create
> a proper port (?).

I saw Arrow, a new mail program at freshmeat.  Arrow depends on jx so I
downloaded both but haven't attempted to do anything w/ it yet so I have
no idea how hard a port it is.

At my present rate and list of things to do it's low on my priority list.
I'd be happy to help you test/develop a port though.

If no one else touches this I would eventually get to it, but I wouldn't
hold your breath waiting.  :-)

<description left below since this originally went to -questions>

> (From the homepage at http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/jx/)
>
> "JX is a full-featured application framework and widget library for use
> with the X Window System. It provides support for all facets of
> application development, including distributed applications, and aims to
> combine the best of MacOS and NeXTSTEP. It is built directly on top of
> Xlib and has been carefully optimized for performance.
>
> JX comes with a complete test suite that demonstrates all of the features
> of the library and a set of tutorial programs that introduce the major
> concepts, one at a time. This provides a rich source of sample code, both
> for top level application design and for individual widget classes. It
> also shows how to extend the functionality of the library by, for example,
> creating custom tables or menu layouts.
>
> JX also includes a complete C++ development environment (Code Crusader).
> Among other features, this includes a graphical class browser to help you
> visualize and understand the inheritance relationships between the classes
> and to search for all the classes that implement a particular function."

Brett
Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

If you meet a beautiful woman wearing skintight, clingy
lycra, and one of the first five words out of your mouth
is "Campagnolo" . . . . . you might be a cyclist.