Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 11:37:51 -0500
From:      "Jason Smethers" <jason@smethers.net>
To:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD libc for Linux?

> At 5:21 PM -0700 4/30/01, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >For lack of any where better to ask, I'll try chat.  Does any one know
> >of a working port of a BSD libc for a modern Linux (RedHat 6.x, SuSE 6.y,
> >etc.)  I ask because I've got some scientific code that's more or less
> >pure ANSI C that works just fine producing the same or nearly the same
> >results on FreeBSD, Solaris, Irix, and even Alpha Linux, but on i386
> >Linux it produces wildly different (though consistant) results.  I'm
> >hoping for an easy to way to figure out it it's the kernel or glibc.

The statistical differences may be a result of your programs use of the
rand() family. Linux's GNU libc decided not to implement these functions for
backwards compatibility. Instead it aliases these functions to the random()
family.

You can find at least one discussion about this in the mail archives during
a discussion of the random device some months back.

- Jason