Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:34:39 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shan-Min Chao <shanmin@lvdi.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some simple FreeBSD questions

On Tue, Jan 20, 1998 at 09:40:13PM -0800, Shan-Min Chao wrote:
> Hello!
> 	Once again, I would like some help.  Can anyone tell me which file user
> account information is located in?  For example, if I wanted to edit the
> login shell for a certain user, what should I do?  I tried to edit the
> /etc/passwd file, but it doesn't seem to change anything.  I even tried
> the /etc/master.passwd.  If these don't work, why are they here to begin
> with?

I don't know.  But they work for me.

The correct way is to first edit master.passwd and then rebuild the
password databases.  The easiest way to do this is with vipw.

Alternately, in your case you could have the user run chsh (change
shell), which seems to be exactly what you're looking for.  See the
man pages for more detail.

> 	Second of all, what is the difference between .profile, .login, and
> .cshrc?

.profile is used by the Bourne shell, .login and .cshrc by the C shell
(the former only for login shells).

> 	Third of all, I know there is a C++ compiler on FreeBSD called c++.
> Where are the include files for the c++ (not the cc) compiler?  I know
> the ones for the cc are in /etc/include.  But there is no iostream.h in
> there!

They're in /usr/include/g++.

> 	Fourth of all, would it cause any adverse effects if I deleted the
> /usr/ports directory?

Not unless you wanted to install a port.  Have you checked on the size
of the directory?  It's not that big.

> 	Last but not least, do you guys know how to set any preferences for the
> ppp dialer?  I mean, every time I finish dialing, I have to do the
> following commands:  "add 0 0 HISADDR" and "set timeout 0".  Any ideas
> how to make the ppp set this up by itself so that I don't have to type
> it in every time?

Yup, it's in the man page.  Make sure you have the following in your
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup:

MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

(note the exact spacing at the beginning of the line).

Add set timeout 0 to the default: section of your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf,
and make sure you don't have any overrides elsewhere where they could
affect you.

Greg