Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:20:17 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Ladan?= <rene@freebsd.org>
To:        chromium-packagers@chromium.org, chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   more thoughts on porting Chromium to FreeBSD

Hi,

[this is an updated rewrite of an earlier private mail]

some more thoughts and ideas I gathered while porting Chromium to FreeBSD:
- FreeBSD seems to piggy-back on Linux too much because ninja will build
*_linux files on FreeBSD which might or might not be useful. I guess
that ideally there should be *_freebsd versions of these files and the
build system should know about them. If I understand correctly, this
should prevent the need for patches like:
+        ['OS=="freebsd"', {
+         'sources/': [
+           ['exclude', '^browser/storage_monitor/udev_util_linux.cc'],
where linux files are explicitly excluded afterwards. Which leads to the
question what file(s) decide that FreeBSD should build *_linux files.

- GN probably needs to be ported to FreeBSD to be able to continue
bootstrapping the build. I sent tickets for this after making the
bootstrap binary run on both FreeBSD 8.4-i386 (oldest supported version
of we omit FreeBSD 8.3 which will expire after April) and FreeBSD
10.0-amd64 (latest release). The main ticket is 180743014 which depends
on tickets 178193018 and 185713005.

- Possibly related to GN is this error that I get when running "ninja -C
out/Release" in my tip-of-tree git checkout:
ninja: Entering directory `out/Release'
ninja: error:
'../../chrome/renderer/resources/extensions/bluetooth_custom_bindings.js',
needed by 'gen/chrome/grit/renderer_resources.h', missing and no known
rule to make it

- some knobs seem to be half-handled (e.g. use_system_libusb).
Concerning use_system_ knobs, would it be best to use as much system
libraries as possible? This would reduce the build time and the number
of patches. But on the other hand, testing more bundled libraries would
increase robustness.

- I made a port of Chromium 34.0.1847.45 to FreeBSD, see
https://github.com/gliaskos/freebsd-chromium (beta branch). This is
currently only build-tested and has some ugly hacks. I remember someone
else made a similar port, maybe we can combine efforts?

- At some point it would be really nice to have official FreeBSD build
bots, but this is probably only useful after a clean git checkout builds
on FreeBSD.

Regards,
René