Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:03:45 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Instalation directories

Hi Calvin,

> I'm new to the porting process and currently trying to port a java
> application server.

Which one? Orion, Tomcat 3, Tomcat 4, JBoss 2 and JBoss 3 are already in the
ports. I suggest you take the Orion port (www/orion) as a starting point and
work from there.

> I note some ports write to /var/log and others to
> ${PREFIX}/portname/log.

I have no definite answer. I just let my ports log to the port installation
directory, like ${PREFIX}/orion1.5.4 for Orion.

Good luck,

Ernst