Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:01:27 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Iozone: local vs nfs drives

>On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

>> I would be interested in the answer to this, I see the same behaviour on
>> a 2940/Quantum Atlas combo, although the numbers are quite a bit higher.
>> In any case, given specifically the issue of news, where most activity is
>> reading, this is disturbing.

>IOZONE isn't the benchmark to use to determine news performance.
>FFS and the file buffering used aren't optimized for reading large files.

To elaborate, iozone reads and writes one large file.  News reads and
writes lots of little files all over the place.  Even bonnie is a poor
approximation for news.  At least bonnie does a lot more that read and
write a buffer.  But it still works in one large file.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net