Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:10:23 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Rens <rens.emmanuel@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: many ports refuse to make

--Apple-Mail-1-846164856

many thanks for this thread, now most of my applications work fine and I
avoided (not without pain) to rebuild everything. I did not understand
at first sight that make world would  not upgrade installed packages,
consequently I was unable to make packages that were requiring newer
versions of XFree and otther libs. Deleting a package with pkg_delete -f
and adding its new version right afterwards  with pkg_add -r and pkgdb
-uF was the right solution , I did not find the same facility with the
ports.

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines  ,found in this list ,
has been a great help too in reconfiguring for XFree86-4.

If I could disturb you a little more  I would ask you three more
begginner's questions:

1. how could I rebuild sysinstall (which looks very bad now) and ee?  (I
noted some problems using ee in the console, and the arrow keys are not
available anymore in both applications. )
2. XFree86 requires to be setuid root when started outside xdm from a
non root, but (again) how?
3. where could I get informations on the way to add a patch to an
application ?

--Apple-Mail-1-846164856

many thanks for this thread, now most of my applications work fine and
I avoided (not without pain) to rebuild everything. I did not
understand at first sight that make world would  not upgrade installed
packages, consequently I was unable to make packages that were
requiring newer versions of XFree and otther libs. Deleting a package
with pkg_delete -f and adding its new version right afterwards  with
pkg_add -r and pkgdb -uF was the right solution , I did not find the
same facility with the ports.

</color> ,found in this list , has been a great help too in