Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:07:52 -0400
From:      "webdesigns COMNET" <webdesigns@comnet.ca>
To:        "Krzysztof Zaraska" <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routes

Thanks for your reply!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Krzysztof Zaraska" <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
To: "webdesigns COMNET" <webdesigns@comnet.ca>
Cc: <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 6:04 AM

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, webdesigns COMNET wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > On my 4.3-STABLE box I have a new IP subnet implemented.  The box is
> > connected to a router via a dmz host (internal ip).  The router is
> > connected to the net with a different ip than the subnets. The only
> > communication to the outside world is through my router's internal ip.
> > I have set the defaultrouter="router's ip" in rc.conf and I have
> > access to the internet, except my ip address translates to the
> > external ip of the router. (Which I don't want) I would like all
> > connections from my FreeBSD box to show on the internet as one or any
> > of my subnet ip's. Can someone help define a setup to get my subnet
> > working.
>
> Address translation is usually done by routers, thus it seems to me that
> this is the issue of router configuration. Unless you machine uses private
> IPs (that is one with subnet number of 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 or
> 192.168.0.0/16) router may be reconfigured to stop translating your
> IP(s). This may however be a serious conflict with local security policy
> at your site, since internal addresses are usually hidden for some reason.

My router isn't capable of doing ip translation. It only provides 1 DMZ
host, and/or nat specific ports to different lan ips.
My machine is using ipfw, default router to the dmz host, 1 lan ip, and 32
public ips. The router only has 1 public address.
I would like to share the public subnet across the 1 connection.
I believe the router is my problem and should be omited, and a dual-homed
setup implemented.