Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 12:42:20 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk cache challenged by small block sizes

On May 29, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com> wrote:

> >ufs with a block size of 4K was about the same speed as ext2fs with a block
> >size of 4K.  ufs with a block size of 8K was significantly (25%) slower.
>               ===========================================================
>
> Uhm, isn't that rather obvious ?

Ahemm ???

> The chances of being able to do one DMA into two (physically) consecutive
> pages are very very slim as far as I can tell, so you will generally get
> better performance when you do it in page size chunks ?

Sure!

> In other words, drivers should be optimized for two back-to-back 4K
> transactions to different pages, not for 8k transactions to physically
> contiguous pages.

Well, sorry, hmmm, ... When did you write a bus-master
SCSI driver, last time ?  ;-)

For a "n" page transfer, n+1 scatter/gather table entries
are provided. This allows for the transfer to start at
an arbitrary byte offset into the first page, and covers
n-1 full pages, and possibly a final partial one ...

Regards, STefan