Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:55:59 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Damien Tougas <damientougas@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to send e-mail to freebsd.org domain

On Friday, Oct 11, 2002, at 22:43 US/Pacific, Bob Johnson wrote:

>> My server's name is server.merchantsbarter.com, and my
>
> This name does not resolve.

The domain resolves, but that host doesn't.

>> IP address is 198.78.66.185. Name resolution works
>
> The number does, though.
>
>> both in forward and reverse with no conflicts in the
>> name, and this has been verified from several
>> locations across the US.
>
> Well, it doesn't validate from this location.

Nor here.

>> I think at one point, probably about 2 months ago
>> (when I was initially setting up the server) I tried
>> to send a message to one of the mailing lists but did
>> not have a reverse DNS lookup properly configured. Do
>> your mail servers cache those prior attempts? If so,
>> what do I have to do to have my server's name/IP
>> removed from this cache?
>
> Fix your DNS entry so your name resolves.

There is no caching of failed post attempts.  The problem depends on
what you're trying to accomplish.  If you want the posting mailhost to
be server.merchantsbarter.com, your DNS is broken because that name
doesn't resolve.  If you want the posting mailhost to be
merchantsbarter.com, your mail service is broken because it is
identifying itself with the host name rather than the domain name.

Your call.

KeS