Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:03:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ccd ccd.c src/sys/dev/vn vn.c src/sys/sys conf.h src/sys/i386/isa fd.c mcd.c scd.c wcd.c wd.c wt.c s

> As much as I pride myself with never agreeing with Garrett, I'm having a
> hard time finding a reason not to in this particular case.  :-)
>
> There are a couple of fine points still not resolved.
> There is >still< no way to generally specify a policy:
> 	"Make all disks foo.bar mode 0640"
> and such.

This is a good point.  There are some of us who use things like amanda for
backups, and currently I rely on blind chance and the amanda report to
remind me when I have bad permissions on a disk.

My personal opinion, however, is that you can make this sort of a thing
into a real problem and go to great lengths to "solve" it at ridiculous
cost in complexity.

Let's say, for example, that you were to create a "sd.defaults" file that
specifies the default permissions for any newly created sd device.  Well
that's fine for the general case, but now somebody wants a special case
for sd5, which holds a raw-partition database.  It starts to get icky.  The
cure is worse than the disease, IMVHO.  Unless somebody has a functionally
better cure...

I probably am not qualified to be a part of this architectural discussion
anyways so I'll butt out now  :-)  I'm just speaking as someone who has
gotten very tired of

./MAKEDEV sd13 sd13s1 sd13s1e sd14 sd14s1 sd14s1e

> The major/minor of the underlying nodes are of course of no significance,
> but wouldn't it be nice to get rid of all that blasted code entirely ?
>
> Why would we even care about the type of node apart from "Directory" or
> "Not Directory" ?  Ie, we could mount devfs on a FS that doesn't support
> c/b devs at all (msdos, hfs ...)

I wouldn't care :-)  I think that would be a superb feature.

... JG