Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:02:59 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Cc:        lubnazia@cyberaccess.com.pk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bandwith monitor for unix freebsd

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 11:14:23AM +0000, Nick A. Fikouras wrote:

> Lubna Zia wrote:
>
> > Can we somehow control the bandwith being used by the customers at an
> > ISP with the help of any relevant s/w tool available for unix freebsd?
> > Is there a bandwith monitor available for unix freebsd?
> >

> When we are talking about TCP/IP network, as far as I know IP is a best
> effort protocol. That is, it performs its best to deliver traffic as fast
> as it can. It is this characteristic of IP that makes it impossible (with
> the current router infrastructure) to reserve or allocate bandwidth in the
> Internet.
>
> I hope this has been of help,
>
> nick

Not exactly true.

If you are running either of -stable, 3.0 or -current you can utilize
the new dummynet(4).

In short,

*
* dummynet - Flexible bandwidth manager and delay emulator
*
* dummynet is a system facility that permits the control of traffic going
* through the various network interfaces, by applying bandwidth and queue
* size limitations, and simulating delays and losses.
*
* In its current implementation, packet selection is done with the ipfw
* program, by means of ``pipe'' rules.  A dummynet pipe is characterized by
* a bandwidth, delay, queue size, and loss rate, which can be configured
* with the ipfw program. Pipes are numbered from 1 to 65534, and packets
* can be passed through multiple pipes depending on the ipfw configuration.
*

Best regards,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the