Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:21:07 +0100
From:      Victor Balada Diaz <victor@bsdes.net>
To:        Arnaud Houdelette <arnaud.houdelette@tzim.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ATA] and re(4) stability issues

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:18:00PM +0100, Arnaud Houdelette wrote:
> Victor Balada Diaz a écrit :
> >Hello,
> >
> >I got various machines[1] at hetzner.de and I've been having problems
> >with interrupts on FreeBSD 7.0 and now FreeBSD 7.1 -BETA2 in amd64. I've
> >been trying to narrow the problem so someone more knowledgeable than me
> >is able to fix it. This mail is an other attempt to ask a question
> >with regards ATA code to see if this time i got something.
> >
> >[...]
>
> Sorry I didn't take the time to read all the thread, but I got similar
> problem with the same IXP600 chipset.
> Only it was'nt with a Realtek NIC (re) but with a Ralink wireless one.
> The simptoms where similar : interrupt 22 was shared between the sata
> controler and the wireless card. And I got Interrupt Storms at random
> times when using the wireless network.
>
> No problem since I removed the ral(4) NIC (got a real access point now).
> You might not want to point the finger at the re(4) driver too fast.
>
> Arnaud Houdelette
Hello Arnaud,

I didn't say the problem was just because of re(4). Actually i think the
there were two problems, one with re(4) and other with ata(4). The reason
why i talked about both of them in the same mail is because i thought
that as two drivers were affected, maybe the problem was in other part
of the operating system and that could help the developers to debug the
problem.

My re(4) card isn't sharing the interrupt with IXP600, it's sharing
the interrupt with USB controller. In this case i think the problem
is fixed with the advices from Pyun YongHyeon (backporting the driver
from HEAD and using MSI for interrupts).

I think the problems with ata(4) code will appear again after a few
days of load, as they always do, so i'll keep trying to debug them.

Regards.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.