Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 17:04:47 +0100
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tripwire on compact flash

+ David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>:

| On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, randall ehren wrote:
|
| > hi,
| > i setup a freebsd system running off of a compact flash card. i
| > know that CF cards have a limited life of read & writes so i
| > wanted to know if running tripwire on the card was a bad idea...?
|
| It's fine if you have it mounted read only virtually all the time.
| You don't say what you're using the system for, so we really can't
| guess whether that's possible or not.

I have one of those tiny 256 MB devices that plug into a USB port.  I
use it to move data between home and work, amongst other things.  So
for me, it usually doesn't make sense to mount it read only.  What I
do, however, is to use the noatime option.  That way, I can at least
read files with reckless abandon without causing any extraneous
writes, I hope.

I worry about "using up" the superblocks and possibly the location of
the root directory, however.  Would using softupdates be likely to
decrease the amount of writing to those areas, and so perhaps increase
the lifetime of the device?  Any other tricks?

Here is one: I have a (little used, but still handy) 32 MB MSDOS file
system in the first slice.  I'm planning to repartition the device
once in a while, each time changing the size of the initial slice in
order to move the most used areas in the FreeBSD slice around.

- Harald