Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:18:46 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Martyn Hill <sysadmin@st-james-snrgirls.w-london.sch.uk>
Cc:        G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cable-modem, dynamic IP, NAT and IPFW

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:06:50PM -0000, Martyn Hill wrote:
> Gordon
>
> Thanks. The issue of daft firewall rules may be pertinent - however, I have (temporarily) switched off the firewall in
> /etc/rc.conf with
>
>     firewall_enable="NO"
>
> Is this sufficient to ensure that I'm testing the system without interference from a potentially dodgy set of rules?
>
> Martyn Hill.

Possibly not (see the lengthy discussion on -stable about this a couple of
months back...)   You might be better off with:

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"

That enables the firewall but configures it to just pass everything.
firewall_enable="NO" doesn't necessarily do what you expect when the
firewall is compiled into the kernel rather than loaded from a module --
the firewall will still be there but defaults to blocking all packets.

HTH,

	Scott