Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:47:04 -0600
From:      Ben Mesander <ben@kaosol.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.8 installer failure with intel ICH4 ata controller

I'm trying to install 4.8 from cdrom. I get to the kernel config menu,
select the first option, install without configuring a kernel, and the boot
process hangs accessing the cdrom. ad0 (the hard drive) is recognized fine.
The cdrom does:

acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done

over and over. Finally I get to the screen "Probing devices, please wait
(this can take a while)" and the installer hangs.

acd0 is on ata1. I have tried booting with:

set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
set hw.ata.wc=0

I have also tried disabling udma support for this drive in the BIOS.

Also, I have an intel ICH4 controller which is in the supported list.

There seems to be a pr open on this, 36610. How can I tell if this is the
problem I have? Is there anything I can do, such as trying a different
cdrom drive?

The drive works fine with both windows 2000 and rhat linux 9.

Thanks.

--Ben