Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 10:13:14 CDT
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   YP - getpwnam requests core dumps on client

A while back I asked for some help getting YP/NIS service
running.  Well I spent some more time "RTFMing" and found I had not
added the NIS indicators in /etc/master.passwd, /etc/group, and
/etc/hosts.  Newbie error I know :).

The hosts changes work fine for me.  I can reach any host in the
master.  So I know that the ypbind is running fine.  Well when I
changed the master.passwd file to include a  '+:*::::::::' entry
a number of things broke.  All of the following core dump with a
signal 11.

login with any name besides root
ls -l  in a directory which contains files with a UID which needs YP lookup
yppasswd  with any name besides root

I recompiled passwd with symbols and started the debugger (gdb).  Steping
thru one of the cases which fail I found that all of the NIS commands
work until getpwnam is called.  This is the function which kills the
process.   I don't have the code in front of me, but it was line 256 of
the file which contains the yp hash code.

I'm running 4-12-95 SNAP on both the client and server machines.

Thanks for any insight.

Derek Laufenberg