Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:31:41 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r187132 - head/usr.bin/make

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:30:52AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> First, there was absolutely no reason to introduce -Q.  -v is
> otherwise unused and matches the 'opt-in' debugging that's present in
> the rest of make and the build system and other utilities like cp and
> mv which will tell you what they are doing only if asked.

I disagree.  If one aliases "cp='cp -v'" it is easy to disable with
issuing "\cp".  Make is more complicated and looks at environmental
variables to get its options.  In those cases it is often useful to
have a "disable" option that can used on the command line to override
the environment.  I could dig up other commands in /usr/src where one
command enables something and following option disables it.
('ls -l -C' as one example)

> Second, the extra always on debug introduces a performance penalty.

I've replied separately on this topic.  I was unable to measure any
real 'make buildworld' penalty for my change.  [that would be
'make -j16 -Q' vs. 'make -j16']

I was also only able to get about 2.5% speedup in a -j16 build after
disabling all the output I easily could [make -j16 -Q -s]

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)