Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:17:54 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1009653474.d1f13a@mired.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Smooth transition possible when switching ISP?

Jim Freeze <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com> types:
> I have a web server on a box at home that uses
> the cable provider @home. I am using granite canyon
> as the name server provider. (The IP is dhcp but has
> not changed for over a year.) I plan this month to
> switch to DSL (and thus will get a new static IP).
> Currently, both networks are active.

I don't know anything about granite canyon, but the work has to happen
on their end. If they are set up as a "dns for dynamic IP hosts" type
deal, then just switching to the new IP address should do the trick.

> It would be nice if I could limit that downtime.
>
> Can anyone give me some suggestions as the best way
> to make this transition.

Note the expiration time on the current DNS, then lower it to
something short. Wait until after the old expiration time has
passed. Change the DNS to use the new IP address. You can now raise
the expiration time back to the old one. The "downtime" will be the
shorter expiration time you used in the middle. Except, of course,
that some people may have an IP cache that is ignoring the expiration
time you set. You can't do much about them.

	<mike