Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:15:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can you use 1 modem for 2 or more on demand, outgoing PPP routes through it ?

Hi,

      After reading the HOW-TO's and man pages, I still have this
nagging question.

      How do I set up PPP config files to use one modem for 2 or
more on demand PPP connections as below:

     Only one remote machine/route will/should be in use at any one time,
so I shouldn't have conflicts about modem not available.

      MAIN OFFICE             (PHONES LINES)         REMOTE LOCATIONS

+-----------+                                         +------------+
|  FreeBSD  |==== [modem]   ------------- [modem]==== | FreeBSD #1 |
+-----------+               \                         +------------+
192.168.195.104              \                         192.168.5.101
                              \
                               \                      +------------+
                                --------- [modem]==== | FreeBSD #2 |
                                 \                    +------------+
                                  \                    192.168.7.101
                                   \
                                    \   .. and so on
                                     \     .. and so on ...

     Q. How does one associate a phone number with a route ?
           ie. if routing 192.168.5.101 through tun0, use
                   the phone number of 123-4567
               if routing 192.168.7.101 through tun0, use
                   the phone number of 987-6543
     Q. Will I have to dedicate one modem for each route to
        the other machines instead?
     Q. Is anyone else doing this ?

   All replies welcomed!

     Roger