Date:      16 Dec 1998 11:40:09 +0100
From:      Benedikt Stockebrand <bs_13943_34262@adimus.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

I've really tried to stay out of this discussion, but what the fsck...

Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:

> According to Mike Smith:
>
> > This doesn't sound to me like any sort of justification.  In fact, it
> > looks like a specific application, and more to the point, a strong
> > argument for having it a port.
> >

> A 33% increase in execution time doesn't seem like a good justification?

It doesn't justify it being part of the base installation.  It'll slow
down turnaround times for ``make world'' with only an almost
negligible fraction of users actually using fortran.

\begin{flame}

I'm not sure if you don't understand the distinction between the base
system and the ports collection or don't want to accept the fact that
fortran isn't considered "basic" functionality these days anymore.

> [Assorted fortran hype snipped]

All claimed advantages have absolutely nothing to do with the question
of placing your fortran compiler in the base system instead of a port.

> 6. M. Smith said --> "easily-installable and easily-upgradeable port".
>    Ha Ha Ha.
>
>    head -4 /usr/ports/lang/g77/Makefile
>    # New ports collection makefile for:    GNU Fortran
>    # Version required:     0.5.19.1
>    # Space required:       >= 10MB
>    # Date created:         Wed Mar 22 18:51:05 MET 1995
>
>    This is ancient.  The current version is 0.5.24.

Then check out the handbook and FAQs to see how to contribute an
updated port.  I'm sure if you volunteer to maintain that port you're
perfectly welcome.  Or is it that you're just trying to make someone
do the work for you?

> 7. An egcs port works.  But, everyone who does any number crunching will
>    be wasting large amounts a disk space because of the massive redundancy
>    in /usr/{bin,lib,share/{info,man}} and /usr/local/{bin,lib,info,share/man}

"Wasting large amounts of disk space" on everyones system because the
base installation comes with fortran is negligible or what?

Sorry, but if you don't want to provide a couple megs of disk space
for a second fortran-optimized gcc setup you shouldn't try to force a
couple megs of disk space down every one elses throat^WSCSI bus.

BTW, I'm fairly sick about xemacs and plain GNU emacs not sharing the
same elisp packages.  Why don't we put both of them in the base system
configured to share their elisp directories?

\end{flame}

But seriously, if the BSDs have one huge advantage over assorted Linux
distributions and most commercial Un*xen then it's that it comes with
a fairly small base installation.  Add whatever you want to the ports
collection but keep the base system small.

    Ben

--
      Benedikt Stockebrand        Adimus Beratungsgesellschaft für System-
System Administration & Design,    und Netzwerkadministration mbH & Co KG