Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:20:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help, broken tape drive

On Mon, Aug 18, 1997 at 07:16:51PM -0500, Dave Bodenstab wrote:

> My HP dat drive ate a tape and died, and since all my backups are on
> 90m dds1 tapes, I'd like to be sure that the replacement drive will
> read them.  Do I need to be concerned about the brand (the old drive
> was a HP35480a) as long as I get a 4mm dat drive?  I know there are now
> drives that take 120m tapes -- do I need to avoid these?

You should be able to read your tapes in any DDS-2 drives (they're the
ones that write higher densities onto the 120 m drives), as long as
they handle compression (I assume you were running with compression on
your old HP).  If you buy a DDS-1 (like the old HP), make sure it,
too, handles compression.  Sony, for example, has a number of drives
out which don't compress.

I just got a flyer from Jem Computers, Inc.,
(http://www.jemcomputers.com/pb.html#STORAGE) offering refurbished
Archive 4586MP changers for $299.  I have one (bought new), and I'm
quite happy with it.  Alternatively, for the same price they offer
refurbished Seagate 4242MT (DDS-1 with compression).  On their web
page, they have a (new?) Conner 4350M, described as a 2GB DAT (i.e. no
compression, so avoid it).  On the whole, I'd recommend a DDS-2:
they're newer technology, and tend to have a longer real MTBF.  My
345880As died like flies, and though my HP C1533A (DDS-2) has now
died, it looks like it was mechanical damage during transport.

Greg