Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:56:32 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Christoph Devenoges <c@devenoges.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supported hardware

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

If memory serves me right, Christoph Devenoges wrote:

> if i connect my nikon SQ digicam via USB, (after setting USB mode to Mass
> Storage in the camera setup menu)
>=20
> this appears:
>=20
> umass0: Nikon Nikon COOLPIX SQ, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Nikon Digital Camera 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device=20
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 983MB (2013922 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 983C)
>=20
> you might what to add this to the 5.1|2 i386 supported hardware list
> with the other umass driven hardware.

I (with the help of several other folks) have been trying to move
instances of specific devices out of the hardware list (where it
largely duplicates the content in manual pages) into the manual pages.

umass(4) has some of this content already, but before somebody brings
over the devices from the hardware list, there's a question of how
long we want that manual page to get.  There's a *lot* of umass(4)
devices in the world and it's not clear to what extent we want to even
*try* to exhaustively list everything there.

I see where trhodes@ has done some work on this manpage recently.
Tom, I haven't had a chance to ask you about this yet, but do you have
an opinion on how to handle this?

> and then later:
>=20
> umass0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 3) disconnected
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
> umass0: detached
>=20
>=20
> what no errors? finaly i can stop using my old 486 compaq laptop as an
> oversize flashcard reader (with freebsd onboard)!

:-)

Bruce.

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--