Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:34:46 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, Jeff Jensen <jeffreyjensen1@cox.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Why Should I switch to FreeBSD?

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 02:17, David Banning wrote:
> > > am currently 15 years of age.  I am extremely interested in computers,
> > > specifically UNIX and OpenGL Programming (specifically).  I was born

> Given that you are experimenting and learning, I don't know that there
> is any specific advantage.

Oh yes there is! :-)  IMHO, of course.  :-)
> FreeBSD is not broken up into different
> versions like redhat, mandrake... so we are all operating off the same
> page, so to speak.

That really is a HUGE advantage.  Books and gurus are likely to give you a
sensible answer - none of this "I use f-lux, so this might not apply to your
g-lux".

> FreeBSD does not use RPM's. We use something called ports. It is much
> better in my view.

And in mine.  The solving of dependencies problem that the rpm system suffers
is a major improvement.

> You will find that while most Linux programs run on FreeBSD very well
> under Linux emulation

They do indeed.  What this means is that if it runs on Un*x or Linux it will
run on FBSD.  Linux cannot reliably run Un*x programs.

> there are not as many drivers supported. FreeBSD
> does not support as easily junky windows hardware.

The only downside.  You do need to use standard, proven, hardware.  It is
even sensible to examine the compatibility lists on freebsd.org.
What you lose isn't much in my experience.

--
Regards,
Brian